The SDCW has a tradition of providing scholarships for young people to further their education. Previously, the Hallie Cordes scholarship, named in honor of SDCW Past President Cordes, was given. The Cordes scholarship was funded by the Cordes family and past SDCW Presidents. In addition, a scholarship was also awarded by SDCW. In 2021, the South Dakota CattleWomen scholarships have combined to give two larger awards—the SDCW Next Generation Scholarship.
Next Generation Scholarship
SDCW Past President Memorial Fund
South Dakota Cattlewomen (SDCW) is dedicated to promoting the beef industry in South Dakota. SDCW will award two – $1,000 scholarships to a young person attending or planning to attend an institution of higher learning in the upcoming semester.
This scholarship can be used at any accredited university, 2 year or 4-year college or technical school.
- Applicant must be accepted or attending an accredited school of higher learning and planning to study a minimum of one year as a full-time student.
- Must be 17 years of age or older, a high school graduate or a college freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior. If still in high school, must have an expected graduation date of Spring 2023.
- Applications from high school seniors must include a copy of most recent ACT score. All applicants must include current transcript with grade point average.
- Graduate students are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Scholarship is applied toward tuition fees only and will be awarded after the first semester.
The following information will be considered in selecting Scholarship recipients:
- Work experience, leadership abilities and involvement in activities.
- Knowledge of significance of beef industry in South Dakota.
- Academic performance, honors, and ACT score.
- Two CURRENT letters of recommendation, (1 Academic, 1 Personal) with the authors contact information (phone and email), that demonstrate the student’s character and potential for successful completion of a course of study. Letters must be dated.
- Official high school transcript and ACT scores, or current official college transcript
- Current resume that highlights work experience, involvement in school and community activities and leadership roles. (No longer than one page)
- Two dated letters of recommendation
- Signed Scholarship Recipient Agreement
- A copy of the Letter of Acceptance from the qualified school you are planning to attend. College students, please include a letter from qualifying school confirming your enrollment.
- Answer to essay question, How you can use your higher education to help promote the beef industry? (250 words or less)
Please return completed materials postmarked by June 1st:
38630 142nd Street
Warner, SD 57479
Scholarship announcement will be made on June 20th. Monies will be awarded to the two successful winners after the completion of their first semester.
South Dakota CattleWomen has been a strong advocate for promoting the beef industry in South Dakota and supporting youth. We are thrilled to help young people with financial awards to help make their educational goals a reality.
Guy E. Ham Scholarship
South Dakota Stockgrowers Association
The South Dakota Stockgrowers Association offers a $1,000 and a $500 scholarship in memory of Guy E. Ham. The scholarships are available to any South Dakota student having completed at least one year of post-secondary education and pursuing a career in an agricultural or agri-business related field.
These scholarships are made possible by the generosity and gift of the Guy E. Ham Beef Industry Scholarship in memory of Guy Ham and his commitment to the future of the agriculture industry in South Dakota.